Inspired Images

Inspired Images

Monday, July 6, 2015

Review: We Were Liars

 
 
I was beginning to think that authors and story tellers had given up on quality, good prose, and fresh ideas. After reading a few major let down books in a row, We Were Liars was a breath of fresh air.
There isn’t much of a synopsis on the jacket cover of this one and I hadn’t read any reviews before diving in so I had no idea of what to expect from the story. At first, I felt that the staccato style and clipped sentences would bother me but I found myself enjoying the writing style. The author gives the reader only what she wants you to know and what you need to know in this story, which I loved. She doesn’t fill in pages with too much background or detail and she doesn’t bore us with pointless side stories. Although I didn’t make a connection with the characters, I didn’t need to in order to enjoy the book. This is plot driven and it was the right way to go to for the ending to have the kind of impact that it did. I was expecting a bit more of a love story, and really, We Were Liars is more of a family story about how people fall apart and the lengths some will go to in order to pull their family back together. For the first time in a while, I didn’t guess the ending and I loved that I was surprised with the truth. We Were Liars is a quick, page turner and well worth the afternoon I spent reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment