Inspired Images

Inspired Images

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The Power of Procrastination.


Well, for those of you who read my blog, and for those others who stumble blindly to my posts by accident when looking for Cat Man- the man who tattooed his face to look like a cat, you can see I have been absent from my posts. The reason: I have a deadline looming and I have been on freak out mode for the past week.

My book, A Broken Fate, the second novel in The Beautiful Fate Series is due to release on August 26th. I have been ready for this release since March, or so I thought. The book was edited and complete and has been sitting as a dusty file on my laptop for months now. I read the story a few times over the summer and felt confident and ready. Now, with a week before the due date, like a woman ready to give birth, I went in to nesting mode. I have read and re-read changed and then changed back tiny paragraphs, sentences and even words. I contemplated calling the release off and giving myself a few extra months to work things through. I knew in doing this that I would make my fans seriously unhappy and with the cliffhanger I left them with on book one, I might even receive death threats-- well ok, maybe just a nasty email or two. But I couldn’t smile when I finished the book, something was missing and I knew that I would not, could not release this story without a giddy, stupid smile on my face.

Even with a week before the release and a feeling of doom, I STILL put off the story. I cleaned rooms that did not need to be cleaned. I took my dog to the groomer, scrubbed the tile grout in my bathroom, painted a ceiling, and became a series addict to Candy Crush. DAMN YOU LEVEL 29!

 With anxiety looming, an eye that won’t stop twitching and sweaty palms, I think I can say it is ready. I finished the story last night and when I closed my lap top, that stupid smile I love so much was plastered right there on my giddy face. Ava and Ari are ready to tell the second part of their story.

Now, as I wait to be admitted into a Candy Crush rehab center, I ask myself why did I wait for one tiny, measly week to fine-tune this rather important (to me) story?

Is procrastination the key? I would like to say not, but in this case, perhaps, yes. I have never, ever in my life procrastinated. A lie? Ok maybe. But, I do not take to procrastination as a habit. I do believe that it gave me the extra oomph I needed, a push if you will, to really get my butt in gear and get things done. I am so happy and relieved to be able to move forward with The Beautiful Fate Series. I can say I am proud of my work. I do this thing, writing, for me after all. I created Ava and Ari because I wanted to sit down and read the book. In the beginning, I never intended to let someone else read this story. SO here you go world, on August 26th I will stand before you, allowing you to see what is in my mind. Don’t judge me too harshly, I am only human.

No comments:

Post a Comment