Inspired Images

Inspired Images

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Review: Night by Elie Wiesel

 

Night by Elie Wiesel

                    
I cannot possibly review this book. Night was powerful. If you haven't already done so, I suggest reading this novel.
If you follow along with me on Instagram or on Facebook you might catch my "what I'm reading" posts. This summer, I have dedicated myself to Holocaust survivor stories. Starting first with The Pianist, then to Anne Frank, then to Night and I am currently reading Schneider's List. I've spent countless hours watching survivor documentaries - each one beginning and ending in my tears. And currently I am taking part in a 22 video series on WWII . It's not the prettiest way to spend a summer, but I am a lifelong learner and have set out to learn about these lives and the losses from this event. I simply cannot wrap my head around the amount of loss caused by The Holocaust and I don't think that I will ever be able to fully understand why it happened, and for so long, and why so many souls had to die.  I'm sad. Hate confuses me. I don't think I possess the ability to hate. I have never hated anyone before. I simply don't understand it. 
I am grateful to survivors like Elie Wiesel for their strength and their ability to share the darkest and most horrifying years of their lives with the unknown public so that we may learn from this.

No comments:

Post a Comment